Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What's Growin' On: 5/23/06



Realization Of The Day:
I actually do have cucumber plants in the garden! I was thrilled to discover these tiny volunteer lemon cucumber plants, even if they're growing outside the raised bed. Not surprising to find them, though, as that 4'x8' bed was a veritable lemon cucumber jungle last year. I mean, it obliterated all the other plants, then it struck out toward the other beds, covering the 4-foot wide walkways in every direction. Good thing I love lemon cucumbers, although it did get to a point when I was hesitant to venture into that part of the garden alone.

Realization #2:
Always consider absolutely everything (no matter how seemingly innocent or innocuous or just plain cute) to be a potential and dangerous threat to the garden.




I was still crouched down from taking the first photo when this adorable little darling (I'm telling you, never underestimate something simply because it's cute) trotted over and in one quick move, plunked herself right onto my fabulous new discovery. Then she casually stretched out her leg to cover the few plants that weren't being squished by her tiny woolly body--and proceeded to start nibbling on the one remaining visible seedling.




But the worst part of it all? It's impossible to get mad at that face.

Beyond The Garden Gate:
Wondering how I went from Urban California Chick to Manure Mucking Missouri Farmgirl? Click here to find out.

6 comments:

  1. I don't suppose you can tell a lamb "no" like a dog, can you? Not that the dogs mind me when I tell them to stop eating the greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was just trying to help, 'cuz the plants were growing outside of the beds so they must have been weeds so she ate them. Yeah... that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell us a little about the beds you have built and how?

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT face is a very cute face who needs your face to stay happy and healthy! She can come and munch my city lawn anytime. This weekend is good since we need to mow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's so cute I would have just picked them and laid them out for her. I'm weak!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Around here we call Cary's behavior "three year old helpful"--which fits right there with Amy's 4 year old!

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!