Friday, May 17, 2013

Heads Up: A Great Deal on My Favorite Farm and Garden Cart

Attacking a neglected raised vegetable bed in the kitchen garden - FarmgirlFare.com
Using some muscle last month to prepare a neglected (and falling apart) 4'x8' raised bed for planting (it had been unused so long there was a tree growing out of it).

One of the first purchases I made after moving to the country 18 years ago was a 7.5 cubic foot Rubbermaid utility cart, and to this day it remains one of the best things I've ever bought. We use it so much around the farm and garden that a couple years ago we bought a second one. (The cart pictured above is the older version; you can see our newer version in action here.)

The one-piece construction is incredibly durable and tough. They can be either pushed or pulled, are easy to clean, easy to dump, don't mind being left out in the weather, can handle rough terrain, and can haul up to 300 pounds.

Over the years we've used ours to transport everything from firewood to sick sheep. They're perfect for hauling manure from the barn, weeds to the compost bin, and grass clippings to the vegetable beds. I can't imagine gardening or farming without them.

We paid $189 for our second one several years ago, but right now they're available from amazon for just $139 each, with free shipping. They won't ship for 3 to 5 weeks, but if you're willing to wait, you can save a lot of money (the regular price is over $240).

I'm not sure how long this price will last, so if you've had your eye on one of these carts, now is the time to pounce. We're actually thinking maybe we should get a third one—that's how great they are.

P.S. These rugged carts can handle a lot of use and abuse, but I wouldn't, ahem, recommend throwing heavy pieces of firewood into them from several feet away, or turning them upside down and standing on them, especially if you're a very big guy. If, however, such a thing should happen while your back is turned, large cracks can successfully be mended with pieces of old metal license plates and/or metal strapping, preferably by the person who is responsible for causing the cracking.

Also, you can use your cart to move the generator, but take it out before you actually run the generator. Otherwise, the heat blasting out of it could melt a big ugly hole in the side of your brand new, shiny cart. Not that anyone would actually do this.

© FarmgirlFare.com, the rockin' and rollin' foodie farm blog where we haven't yet figured out how to put the donkeys before the cart.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up...I ordered one to replace my poor rusted wheel barrow! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I just discovered your site a few weeks ago. I really enjoy the kitchen garden information. We live on a city lot and have installed some raised beds after our soil tested positive for lead, most likely due to peeling paint from the side our own 1910 Victorian. Our herb and veg garden is on a very small scale (and a tight budget) with basic tools acquired from garage sales. Last summer I carried off a giant pile of free mulch from our driveway to the flower beds, using the lid of my portable patio fireplace which is shaped like a giant saucer. A neighbor admired my determination and gave me a wheelbarrow he had gotten free somewhere and wasn't using. It was this same Rubbermaid model you have featured here. I don't know how old it is but I use it all the time for hauling and sometimes cover it to use as an outdoor workbench. Its everything you say and more and now that I know its value, I feel doubly lucky to have it.

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!